Sunday 6 May 2012

Daunting Transcriptions?

If you want to become a better musician, the best way to make the major leaps in playing ability is with transcription. Unfortunately, though, it can be the hardest way. It's like if you want to lose weight by working out and running. You KNOW it's gonna work, but the easier way out is too often chosen...doing nothing!

I use Youtube, and instructional books on a daily basis to get better, but I'd say it has been through transcribing that I've learned the most...in other words, using the ears. If you've got a smartphone, transcribing can be easy and fun...sometimes. Here's a link to a smartphone app that allows you to slow-down songs while maintaining pitch to pick out fast or complex passages...this is how I learn all songs.
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/amazing-slow-downer/id308998718?mt=8

I don't have any affiliation, I say all of the above since I've found that too many people rely on tabs and other such methods to (for lack of a better term) 'half-ass' learn songs. Give it a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment